Sports & Exercise Nutrition
Sport and Exercise Nutrition, also known as Performance Nutrition, can assist anybody who is looking to improve their sports performance. Optimal nutrition is dependent upon a number of factors, such as gender, age, sport, level, and goals; with this in mind, a Performance Nutritionist can work with you to find an individualised, appropriate plan.
Performance nutrition looks to allow an athlete to maximise their adaptations to training through appropriate dietary intake around exercise. This, combined with a suitable and achievable nutrition plan during competition, will allow the athlete to optimise their performance. It is important to note that, irrespective of your goals, sporting excellence should never come at the expense of good health. A healthy athlete will always perform better than an unhealthy athlete – a qualified and experienced Performance Nutritionist will be able to advise you on optimal nutritional intake, allowing you to compete at your best whilst also remaining happy and healthy.
There are a number of reasons why you might seek the advice of a Performance Nutritionist, with a handful of examples below:
- you struggle with fatigue in the latter stages of a race or game.
- you find it difficult to recover after exercise
- you would like to fine-tune your body composition
- you need help working out if you need to take any supplements, and if so, which ones.
- you want to know if you’re on the right track with your nutrition, to ensure it isn’t a barrier to you performing at your best.
How does a Performance Nutritionist differ from a Dietician?
Performance nutrition focuses on optimising nutritional intake to maximise sports performance. It looks at the physiological demands of the sport, training and competition, as well as the individual athlete. In contrast a Dietician is trained to help the public, particularly those with health problems and clinical conditions, to find the optimal dietary intake for health in everyday life.
What is involved in a Consultation?
• Initial pre-consultation screening. This allows us to gather some basic information about yourself, your training, your sport, and your goals.
• One-to-one consultation (60 minutes). This can be in person at The Body Rehab, or remotely if preferred. The consultation will be athlete-led and fully individualised, tailored towards yourself, your sport, and your goals. This is an opportunity to find out how the correct nutrition can optimise your training, maximise your performance and ensure that you are a healthy athlete. You can troubleshoot any queries or difficulties which you have experienced during your sport. Performance nutrition isn’t exclusively for elite athletes; it’s for anybody who wants to perform at their best.
• Follow-up advice and action plan. All consultations will be followed by an in-depth description of what has been discussed, and ideas that can be implemented into your sport and lifestyle. The follow-up notes and action plan will be individualised to what has been discussed and can include food suggestions and macronutrient recommendations.
Call 01539 822 746